If you are interested in becoming a volunteer firefighter, you are welcome to contact the District to make arrangements to attend a training session to see what it's all about. Applicants must live within the Gold Ridge Fire Protection District boundaries, be at least 18 years old, and be in good physical health.
The application process:
- Complete and submit an application for volunteer firefighter.
- The personnel board will contact you to schedule an interview.
- Upon acceptance, candidates will complete a confidential medical questionnaire.
- You will be wait-listed for the next scheduled in-house training academy. (The academy may be waived by the Fire Chief if the candidate has a California State Firefighter I certification and/or they can demonstrate equivalent training and experience)
- The in-house training academy meets approximately one night per week and last approximately 5 to 6 months.
- After successfully completing the training academy, the new firefighters will be cleared to respond to fire calls and attend mandatory Thursday night drills.
Firefighters meet on Thursday evenings (7 to 10 pm) to drill on fire suppression techniques, and to practice medical skills. Mandatory drill topics include water rescue, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) training, CPR Recertification, vehicle extrication, hazardous materials response, confined space rescue, and response to terrorism incidents.
Explorer Scout Program
The Exploring program is a division of the Boy Scouts of America that allows youth from age 14 through 21 an opportunity to "try out" a career in the fire service without actually having to go through the educational and hiring process. Members first go through a Basic Training course in order to get familiar with the tools and operations of the fire service. Once completed, they earn the privilege of riding on the fire apparatus with the professional firefighters to real emergency calls. They are allowed to do many of the tasks that paid firefighters do on the fire ground, but largely in a support role. Many of our young volunteers came from our Explorer program and go on to become professional firefighters and paramedics. For more information on the program, contact Advisor Tom Warren at firstname.lastname@example.org.